Friday, January 15, 2010

It Warms My Heart



I spent the winter holidays year visiting my family and friends back home in San Antonio and my sister-friend and family in Virginia. As always, one of my expressions of love is food. I love to putter around and cook up love for my loved ones.

My first night in Virginia was a c-c-c-cold one. It was getting late by the time everyone made in in for the evening. Everyone was hungry. For me, that meant one thing: soup time!

I made my "semi-homemade" version of Pasta e Fagioli. Easy, comforting and delicious. I served it up with some hot garlic bread and everyone was happy. Soup feeds the body and soul.

Yesterday, my sister-friend called to ask how to make the soup. I emailed her the instructions talking girlfriend to girlfriend. I decided to post it as I sent it:



Pasta e Fagioli (Italian Pasta and Bean Soup) E-mail Recipe

Pie,

Here are the easy steps:



1. The "Dump": In large pot dump all of the following:

* Beef Stock (2 Cartons)
* Diced tomatoes with juice (Medium can... 14 oz?)
* Both cans of beans with juice
* corn, with juice (small can...5 oz?)
* Spaghetti Sauce (Full Jar)
* Put on back burner of the stove to boil, turn down to simmer once boiling
* Add 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
* Add 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper

2. The Browning:

* Brown in cast iron skillet ground beef
* Season with Onion powder, Garlic powder, salt and black pepper (use the kosher salt)
* Brown, drain and then brown until caramelized. (Makes better taste in soup)
* Put browned crumbled meat into soup pot with other "Dump" ingredients
* In the same skillet, add two tablespoons olive oil. Do not wash skillet.
* Brown one onion, small diced. Two cloves of garlic pressed, and three ribs of celery small dice (important to caramelize!)
* Put browned veggies into soup pot with other cooking ingredients.

3. Simmer


* Simmer to meld the flavors about 15 minutes
* Add pasta (about 1 cup dry)
* Cook until pasta tender

4. Remove from heat


* Stir in on large handful of chopped parsley
* Check for salt/pepper
* Cover and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!


It warms my heart that she sent the picture above showing the results. She served it up with a generous sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese (just like I did!)

I love her.

2 comments:

Da Bee's Knees said...

Note: We used a pound of ground beef.

Anonymous said...

Our heart and tummies were warmed. When ever the kids and my husband hear that Aunt Jo is coming everyone seems to make it back home. The checkbook is hers and buy what ever she wants to cook. The kitchen table is the place where we all gather to eat, talk and enjoy one another. Thank you for being the big sister and teaching me to cook these great old fashion Sunday meals. It's my secret weapon when I want the kids to come home for the weekend. Lots Of Love. Pie