Friday, February 26, 2010

Sunday Sides



One of the wonderful things about Sunday dinner is that it is more "substantial" than our normal weekday dinners. There is the requisite protein and vegetable... but then there are extra starches and usually a decadent dessert.

Today, I'm back as promised to give the recipes to the two side dishes my family enjoyed this past Sunday. I hope you will try these easy and tasty side dishes. If you do, please let me know what you think. I love feedback!

Potato Casserole

24 oz. Ore Ida Hash browns
1 Can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
8 oz. Sour Cream
1/4 c. margarine or butter, melted
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. kosher salt
3 fresh green onions, sliced
8 oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
4 oz. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 c. Shredded Parmesan Cheese (use the real stuff)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking dish: I use non-stick spray. I think my dish is a 9 x 10.

In a large mixing bowl mix all ingredients, except the potatoes. Once well mixed, add the potatoes and mix well. Pour into prepared dish, spread evenly. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. (or until potatoes are tender) Remove foil and return to oven to brown top as desired.



(I apologize for the blurry image)


Vegetable Gumbo

1 16 oz. bag Frozen Succotash
1/2 pound fresh green beans
1 16 oz. bag Frozen sliced Okra
1 14.5 oz can of Diced Tomatoes
4 oz. Tomato Paste
1 large Red Bell pepper, diced
3 medium Zucchini, sliced
2 Tablespoons Vigo Chicken Soup Base , divided
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper

Method:

Add succotash and green beans to a medium pot. Just cover with water. Add one tablespoon of soup base. Cook over medium heat, covered for ten minutes.

Add remaining ingredients, stir well. Cook covered until desired doneness.

Taste for seasoning and serve.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I'm not a big gumbo fan, but those potatoes got me. They would have to be a big hit.