Sunday, October 19, 2008

Best Family a Foodie Can Have

If anyone knows anything about me, they know that I'm an adventurous foodie. For many, that can be frustrating if they are part of a finicky food family. Thankfully, I have been blessed with a family that will try anything that I put before them. (It also doesn't hurt that I've groomed them to have broad and adventurous tastes!)

Like most foodies, I follow many blogs. Tonight's dinner success is owed to two fabulous food bloggers! Dinner was a cyber bow to their artistry.

Sunday dinner featured Asian flavors.

The starter was a Spinach & Romaine salad with mandarin oranges, toasted sesame seeds and toasted almonds. Please forgive the photo, it was taken hastily with a cell phone. The family wanted to dive in. No time for posed food shots!




Next, we moved on to grilled talapia fillets. I used for inspiration the BBQ Mahi Mahi recipe from Ezra Pound Cake. The photo is from that site, and I take no credit for it. But again... the family just wouldn't wait. I used the rub, but did not make the roasted pepper relish.



Next to the starring protein, I made an absolutely tongue tingling Asian Noodle Salad. Again, Ezra Pound Cake rocked the house with the recipe. I left out the cabbage and subbed out half of the fresh cilantro for flat leaf parsley. Also, there were no serrano peppers in the store, so I used one good sized fresh jalapeno instead. Again, the photo is from that site. I only wish I could take such great pics! But with an impatient family... pictures just. weren't. gonna. happen.





The family was very happy with the sumptuous meal. But when I reminded them about dessert their smiles got even bigger. I took my cue from Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy for our dessert. I made a Creamy Strawberry Swirled Cheesecake. It is a variation on Susan's recipe: Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake. My family prefers strawberries to raspberries. (I know, I'm sad about that) So, instead of raspberry topping as a swirl, I used a strawberry product. I also could not locate creme fraiche in the grocery store, so I used sour cream. No beautiful embellished decoration, either. My family wants just silky cheese cake. Bummer, because I would have loved to decorate.

But even with the changes, the cheesecake is the ABSOLUTE BEST one we have ever tasted. You absolutely must make time to make this.

Here is the pic from her site:




I only wish I could take great food pics like these wonderful food bloggers. Do yourselves a favor, read some great blogs and make some great food! Your family just might find themselves broadening their palate! And you will feel great mastering delicious new recipes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so glad you guys enjoyed these recipes! Thanks for sharing them.