Sunday, August 31, 2008

Daring Bakers Challenge: Eclairs!



Today is my first official "reveal" with the Daring Bakers. I was a little taken aback when I read that the August challenge was: ECLAIRS!

Specifically, the bakers were challenged to Pierre's Herme's Chocolate Eclair recipe. We were instructed that we had to use the Choux Pastry recipe as written. However we were allowed to substitute one of the chocolate components, if we liked.


I was successful the first time out of the gate with the puffs! I was quite well pleased.

Then it was on to the filling. I opted for a vanilla custard filling and used the chocolate sauce to top.


All in all, the family was happy and my friends impressed.

I was proud.

13 comments:

The Irreverent Cook said...

Welcome to the daring bakers! Vanilla custard sounds like a fantastic idea, especially when the given pastry cream recipe was a little on the runny side! Well done =D

CookiePie said...

Nice job! The vanilla custard sounds delicious. Welcome to the DBers!

Laurie said...

Wlcome to the DB"RS and congratulations on your first reveal day post! Great job! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job! Welcome to the DB'ers!

Pamela said...

Congrats on the ecalirs great job and welcome to DBr's can't wait to see ya next month

silverrock said...

Your eclairs look delightfully delicious. Great job on your first DB challenge! Isn't it fun to bake in groups?

Di said...

OK, you know my address!!!!!

Di said...

I forgot to get you the recipe!! I'll get it to you tomorrow by email. He really liked it so I guess it must be good.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the daring bakers'. Your eclairs looks great :)

Lacey said...

i've no idea what the daring bakers is, but im a mad baker so we must be related somehow? *shrugs*
anyways, the eclairs look delicious. i've always been curious to try making eclairs, especially since my sister made cream puffs, which are similar, a few months ago, and now reading your post i've decided i must make them soon.
peace, love, and happy baking.
~lacey

Lacey said...

ohh daring bakers looks cool. i'm going to check it out. thanks for the link :)

anudivya said...

That looks so pretty! I am impressed as well.

Anonymous said...

You should be proud. You did a great job! Beautiful eclairs.